Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Coming home!

Right now it is Tues. night. We were able to have our visa "interview" today at the US Embassy. The interview basically consisted of stepping up to a counter, verbally agreeing that all the info on our paperwork was correct, and signing on the dotted line. It took about one minute. They didn't even look at all the paperwork that I agonized over before we left. We were able to change our tickets, so we will be leaving Hanoi at midnight tomorrow night (Wed.) Since we have to check out of our hotel at noon tomorrow (or pay for another night) we're just going to stay with one of the other families in their room for the afternoon because they aren't leaving until Thursday. We'll get home at about 3 in the afternoon on Thursday, unless something changes. We will be so glad to get home. It has been a very nice trip, but it feels like we've been here an eternity. I don't know how the families have done it who've had to stay three weeks.

On historical note, we visited the Hao Lo Prison (Hanoi Hilton) today. It's actually directly adjacent to our hotel, and we didn't even realize it. In 1993 they tore down 2/3 of the prison to build our hotel. It was built by the French to imprison the Vietnamese, so most of the museum is about that. The part about the Vietnam war was interesting.....It was all pictures of the American prisoners playing volleyball, putting up a Christmas tree, eating turkey dinners, etc. It was quite a propaganda display.

We'll see all of you very soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea!!!!!! We can't wait to see you all. We have been praying for a quicker return. We'll be praying for Ethan's first long plane ride that all is well. ~Jennifer

Mom and Dad D said...

Praise the Lord! Oh how we wish we could be there at the airport when you arrive. Maybe you could ask the pilot to make a quick stopover in Birmingham.(:

Ellen said...

Woohoo!!! I'm so glad you'll be coming home earlier, I know you're looking forward to being at home with Ethan and settling in. I wish I could come see you sooner! I work Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday at BBW, but believe it or not I put in my notice so that's it for me there! If all goes well, I still plan to come see you on Friday the 26th.

Amanda said...

Yeah! We can't wait to see you! We will continue to pray for an uneventful trip for you all! Counting the days.....

Addison's Mommy said...

woo hoo!! im so excited that you will be home in a few days. it will be so nice to figure out your "new normal" life and get back to it. i also wish that i could see you soon..but who knows when it will be. ill continue to pray that all goes well for your trip home. so your plane lands at 3:00 on wednesday, ill be calling at 3:01 :) only kidding. give me a call after all of the craziness calms down...i would love to talk to you..thanks for sharing this experience with us, this last year of catching up with you has meant a lot me..and it makes me miss my childhood friend...love you
robin - p.s. pregnancy hormones...ahhh im crying AGAIN!

Anonymous said...

Hurray!!! We can't wait to see that precious Ethan. Cya Thursday.

Love, Grandpa Stan and Granny B

Pam said...

WOW!!! I know that you are thrilled. We will be excited to see you ALL but of course especially Ethan.
Have a Safe trip!

Lou Ann,Lilli Ana, Kate and Pam